How long should I feed on each breast?

Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: 15-20 minutes

It will vary by mom and by infant and what works best for you.
But in general, i recommend that my patients breast feed for 20 minutes on the first side (to really get into the hind milk which is rich in fat) and then 5-15 minutes on the other side to relieve so of the gorging. A total feeding of 30-40 minutes is pretty average.

In brief: 15-20 minutes

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Martin Fried
General Practice

In brief: 10 min per side

The protein and carbohydrates come out in the first 4 minutes of breast feeding, then the fat comes out to satiate the child.
Anything more than ten minutes a side, is probably the enjoyment of the infant of the breast. !0 minutes each side should suffice.

In brief: 10 min per side

Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Martin Fried
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham