Is clinical depression painful to the body, or just in the mind?

Dr. Glenn Archibald

In brief: Not in general

Depression is not usually physically painful.
However. Some people experience their depression as bodily aches and pains plus their other symptoms. Depression can affect the perception of pain. Pain can worsen depression.

In brief: Not in general

Dr. Glenn Archibald
Dr. Glenn Archibald
Dr. Neil Liebowitz

In brief: Both

I have thought of depression as primary pain without a source.
There is no pain without perception which is in the brain. When someone is depression everything hurts more. Many people with fibromyalgia pain generally feel better with antidepressants than with actual pain meds. In other words all pain is in your head! also, depressed people are more likely to develop medical problems.

In brief: Both

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz