Is it advisable for a female to take multi-vitamins and calcium supplements on a long term basis? If yes, what do I look out for in my selection.

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Good mulitvit, Vit D

It's best to get vits from your diet, but the majority of americans don't get enough vit a, e, d, folic acid, calcium, mag.
&chromium from their diets & over 1/3 are deficient in c, zinc & b6. Thus, unless you have an exceptionally healthy diet it is wise to take a high quality mulivit. Plus about 5000 iu of d in fall & winter (year-round if you wear sunscreen or avoid sun). Please see my comment:.

In brief: Good mulitvit, Vit D

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
It is also wise to take about 1 mg of Vit. K with Vit. D. About 30% of people can't convert folic acid to its active form so consider a supplement with the L-5-MTHF form (UltraNutrient by Pure Encapsulations is one of the few multivits that includes this form). Folic acid is esp. important the first few weeks of pregnancy so important to take if you might become pregnant. If you don't eat seafood at least 3x/week consider a fish oil (or krill or calamari oil) supplement. If your diet is not rich in fruits and vegetables consider a green powder like ORAC Energy Greens or VitaMineral Greens. I can't just advise 1 mulitivit.- see this list- any of the top 25 are fine, as is Ultramutrient: http://www.multivitaminguide.org/ You may not need extra calcium beyond what is in a multivitamin- it depends on your diet. The best source of calcium is leafy greens!
Dr. Adam Levy