Do other people get small bowel obstruction, or is it unusual?

Common. The diagnosis of small bowel obstruction is fairly prevalent and many resolve without surgery. It could be something as simple as a few cramps yet it also could be as serious as intestine so badly twisted that it dies. The most common cause of intestinal obstruction is scarring (adhesions) from previous abdominal surgery. The second most common cause is a hernia. Cancer lists as number three.
Common. There are many reasons to get small bowel obstruction, most common being adhesions -scar tissue- from previous surgery or infection. Treatment starts with nasogastric tube drainage to reduce pressure, stopping oral intake, IV fluid to reverse dehydration. A surgeon can then determine if surgery is needed or just time.