Do I have to see a specialist to get a hysteroscopy ordered?

Yes. A hysteroscopy may be indicated for a number of gynecologic complaints (abnormal bleeding, polyps, fibroids, lost iud, etc). A hysteroscopy can be performed in the clinic or in an operating room, depending on the physician and the problem being investigated. Most ob/gyn's perform hysteroscopy, and yes you would need to have an evaluation with your gynecologist to detemine that you need this exam.
Yes. It's not a menu item. You would need to see a specialist (ob/gyn) to see if you would benefit from the procedure. Careful if someone agrees to perform one without a really having a health benefit.