I just had an umbilical hernia repair. How long does it take to heal and what can I do about the bloatedness?

In brief: Full healing 4-6 wks

You should be feeling better in 1 week, but, you'll need 4-6 weeks for full strength in the wound to develop.
If you resume activity or strain too soon, you may pop apart the wound and have another hernia develop.

In brief: Full healing 4-6 wks

Dr. Andrew Hoffman
Dr. Andrew Hoffman
Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery

In brief: Recovery support

Constipation and abdominal bloating after surgery is common.
Best treated early with increasing oral liquids, magnesium laxatives and limited diet. Okay to check in with your surgery team. Get evaluated sooner if fever or vomiting develop. To protect your hernia repair, avoid coughing, straining and heavy lifting. Good luck.

In brief: Recovery support

Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg