Are the symptoms of testicular cancer bad?

Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Radiation Oncology

In brief: No

I think you are asking whether the presenting symptoms of testicular cancer are bad (ie painful?).
Most men who present with testicular cancer present with a nodule or painless swelling of one testicle. About a third complain of a dull ache or heavy sensation in the scotal region. About 10% present with acute pain.

In brief: No

Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Joel Lilly
I agree that testis cancer usually presents as a painless lump. I often use this fact to reassure patients with an ache and no lump that it is usually not cancer. An ultrasound will usually confirm this.
Dr. Della Howell
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: They can be

Usually testicular cancer presents as a mass in the testicle that may or may not be painful.
Having a mass in the testicle may increase the chance of the testicle getting twisted around, which can be quite painful. Sometimes the pain from the mass can be referred (sort of transmitted) to where it is felt in the groin, the back, or the lower abdomen.

In brief: They can be

Dr. Della Howell
Dr. Della Howell