Vitamin d and colitis?

Colitis. Inflammation of the bowels (colitis) can effect vitamin D in several ways. It can affect the micro bacteria of the gut which effect Vitamin D absorption. If there is rapid flow through the gut (diarrhea), then the time necessary to absorb vitamin D is reduced.
Vitamin D deficiency. People with ulcerative colitis, especially those who take corticosteroids, often have low levels of vitamin d and are at risk for osteoporosis.Many people with ulcerative colitis have vitamin and mineral deficiencies (because of loss of appetite, reduced absorption by the colon, and chronic diarrhea).