Do doctors see a lot of patients with diphtheria?

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: Fortunately NO

Diphtheria is an upper airway infection by a bacteria, corynebacterium diphtheria, which causes sore throat, fever, and a classic appearing (and somewhat nasty) infectious "membrane" on your tonsils.
Sometimes just the skin is infected. Diphtheria is extremely rare in north america (and another reason to get your vaccines!). Diphtheria protection is provided in the typical "tetanus shot" (td).

In brief: Fortunately NO

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss

In brief: Not in US

The last case I read about in the US was the kid of a chiropractor that didn't believe in vaccines.
As long as there is international air travel an person incubating diphtheria could come from anywhere in the world & be in your grocery or mall in a day. If you are vaccinated, no problem, if not, it's easy to get.

In brief: Not in US