Should I see a specialist for schizophrenia, or can my regular doctor take care of it?

Chinelo Ikpeama
In brief: See a psychiatrist
If you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, your primary care physician is not specialized for this disease.
Please see a psychiatrist regularly. Only a psychiatrist can effectively treat and prescribe medication for schizophrenia. Wishing you'all the best.

In brief: See a psychiatrist
Chinelo Ikpeama
Chinelo Ikpeama
Answer assisted by Chinelo Ikpeama, Medical Student
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Specialist-yes
A board certified psychiatrist is the one with the most expertise in the treatment of schizophrenia.
I would therefore recommend the specialist for such treatment. This is because scz is a very serious condition, but can be often controlled with proper treatment. Good luck.

In brief: Specialist-yes
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Eric Weisman