Should I see a specialist for schizophrenia, or can my regular doctor take care of it?

See a psychiatrist. If you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, your primary care physician is not specialized for this disease. Please see a psychiatrist regularly. Only a psychiatrist can effectively treat and prescribe medication for schizophrenia. Wishing you'all the best.
Specialist-yes. A board certified psychiatrist is the one with the most expertise in the treatment of schizophrenia. I would therefore recommend the specialist for such treatment. This is because scz is a very serious condition, but can be often controlled with proper treatment. Good luck.