Unable to give husband oral sex cause of pain and jaw locking. I have TMJ . Is there anything i can do at home to prevent it?

Dr. Gustavo Ruiz de Castilla
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: TMJ dysfunction

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do at home other than applying moist heat to the jaw joints 15 minutes out of every hour. You need to see a dentist who specializes in tmj, get a diagnosis and treatment.

In brief: TMJ dysfunction

Dr. Gustavo Ruiz de Castilla
Dr. Gustavo Ruiz de Castilla

In brief: Not really

There is a good possibility that you have tmj/tmd.
A jaw that locks (closed- limited opening, open- hard to close, ) is usually a sure sign of a disk that is displaced which is a major symptom of tmj. I would see a specialist. Try not to manipulate or force your jaw open or closed on your own. You can tear the disk and create a permanent injury. Don't try and fix yourself- could tear disk.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: See TMJ expert

Have your significant TMJ problem managed by a TMJ expert.
Refrain from anything that aggravates it. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

In brief: See TMJ expert

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Steven Koos
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Jaw Lock & Fellatio

Not too much you can do other than apply heat to pre-auricular regions (tmj area) beforehand, also take NSAID like Ibuprofen 400-800mg before.
Afterwards, apply ice in same region. I would never advocate the use of a skeletal muscle relaxer, but that would also help with situation. Pt could also help with providing increased range of motion & sustained stretch exercises. Adjust technique?

In brief: Jaw Lock & Fellatio

Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine