I am on Coumadin (warfarin) for life for a dvt/pe where they found a factor 5 gene mutation. Is there any alternative to Coumadin (warfarin) that will allow me greens?

In brief: Coumadin (warfarin) alternative

Some new drugs that can substitute for Coumadin (warfarin) and not require blood tests or diet change are available, like riveroxaban.

Dr. Lawrence Presant
Dr. Lawrence Presant
Dr. Neil Halin
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Not right now.

There is currently no oral drug (pill) that functions as well as coumarin.
There are injectable forms of Heparin (for example, lovenox) but they are very expensive and have to be injected daily. You can still eat lettuce but you have to avoid things like spinach and other dark greens that are high in vitamin k.

In brief: Not right now.

Dr. Neil Halin
Dr. Neil Halin
2 comments
Dr. Trent Proffitt
There are multiple new rxs out now that do not require the same frequent checks and dietary alterations
Dr. Joe Golowa
Drugs like pradaxa are like Coumadin but would be off label for dvt.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine