Have ddd in my spine including a bulging disk, had 2 level laminectomy. Am a marathoner and cyclist. Would rather run. Is running bad for spine?

Dr. Marlis Gonzalez fernandez
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Cycling

Not necessarily good or bad.
Running transmits a lot of energy through the legs to the spine and the disks have to work on "cushioning" the spine. You should be able to tell based on how you feel if running will work for you. I usually prefer cycling (preferably road bike on even surfaces or recumbent) for people with leg and back problems. Best of luck!

In brief: Cycling

Not necessarily good or bad.
Dr. Scott Tromanhauser
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: No

Running will not hurt your spine.
You might create some discomfort but that is usually not a sign of damage. You can decide if it's worth it.

In brief: No

Running will not hurt your spine.