How can I know my cold or flu is not anthrax?

In brief: Statistics

Statistically, it would be very unlikely.
Unless you are in at at risk population such as researches who work with animals, veterinarians, farmers or people who sell exotic hides or you are military and could be exposed to weaponized anthrax in a deployed setting - it is very doubtful that you would contract anthrax.

In brief: Statistics

2 comments
Dr. Martin Raff
Also if you have pulmonary anthrax it is not likely you would be able to write the question. This is often a rapidly fatal and always debilitating illness
Great point friendly neighborhood Infectious Disease specialist. (:
Dr. Helle Lukk

In brief: Runny nose

Anthrax rarely is associated with a runny nose- so if you have a runny nose and typical cold symptoms or flu symptoms especially during cold and flu season- it would be unlikely to be anthrac.
If you have flu symptoms out of typical flu season- then you should be concerned.

In brief: Runny nose

Dr. Helle Lukk
Dr. Helle Lukk