Do lots of people get aphthous stomatitis, or is it unusual?

Aphthous ulcers. I agree but if your mouth ulcers are associated with eye irritation or arthritis check with your doctor. I good treatment for benign apthous ulcers is lactivex solution rinced in the mouth and kenalog (triamcinolone) in orabase for more resistent cases.
Canker sores? Aphthous stomatitis involving the common canker sore can occur in up to 15% of americans, and may involve some bacteria like staph epidermidis. However, similar-appearing aphthous ulcers can be seen with herpes, crohn's disease, and other systemic disorders, if you have multiple aphthous ulcers or frequently recurring ones please have the lesions checked out.
Aphthous ulcers. Many people suffer from painful aphthous ulcers. One possible cause is a sensitivity to a common ingredient found in most toothpastes called sodium lauryl sulfate, a foam detergent. Switching to a toothpaste not containing this ingredient may prevent these painful ulcers to occur again. (biotene).