Are any special tests needed, or can a regular doctor see me for my diabetic retinopathy?

Dr. Andrew Shatz
Ophthalmology
In brief: See an eye doctor
Diabetic retinopathy can only be treated by an ophthalmologist.
Eye doctors have special equipment that can help visualize early signs of diabetic retinopathy, before it becomes severe, and can begin treatment early. You only get one pair of eyes; be sure to have them cared for by an ophthalmologist who treats diabetic eye disease.

In brief: See an eye doctor
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Andrew Shatz
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Ophthalmology
In brief: Ophthalmologist
Most non-ophthalmologists are not trained nor have the equipment for examining the retina.
There are tests that sometimes that need to be done as well that are only available in the ophthalmology office.

In brief: Ophthalmologist
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Dr. Benjamin Chun
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery
In brief: See an eye doctor
When an ophthalmologist or optometrist sees diabetic retinopathy by doing a dilated retinal exam, a retina specialist can do further confirmatory testing (fluorescein angiography and optical coherence tomography) to stage and thus appropriately treat the retinopathy.
Diabetics need to see their eye care provider at least once a year for a dilated retinal exam.

In brief: See an eye doctor
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
2 comments
Dr. Benjamin Chun
In my practice, a general ophthalmologist can also provide fluorescein angiography and OCT and treat diabetic macular edema with focal lasers and injections.
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
My apologies. Some general ophthalmologists can and do do this. Hopefully in the few cases that need vitrectomy surgery, you do send to a retina specialist.
Dr. Adam Smith