Is there something they will give me for anxiety when I'm doing the positron emission tomography scan?

Maybe. Taking a pet study is easy and painless. You will get an injection of a radioactive substance (glucose) and relax in a calm quiet area. Then the technologists will have you lay on a motorized table and you slowly are moved through two large open tubes that scan you. You won't feel anything otherwise and can keep your eyes open or closed. A relaxing medicine can be given if absolutely necessary.