Sharp stabbing pain in left side of chest in ribs next to breast. Stops me in my tracks and can't move. Last 1-5 mins. Ideas? Be worried?

Dr. Fernando Garcia
Anesthesiology

In brief: Chest pain

The pain you describe is most often musculoskeletal and may be a strained intercostal muscle.
It can be due to activity or a cough but if it is at rest, is associated with shortness of breath, chest pressure or other similar symptoms seek immediate medical attention. Women often have less signs of a heart condition and their first event is often a more serious one then men.

In brief: Chest pain

Dr. Fernando Garcia
Dr. Fernando Garcia
Dr. Adam Levy