My doctor wants me to get an MRI done to evaluate for a surgery to stabilize my spine as my bones were too weekinitially. Mri is torture. Will CT scan work instead?

Dr. Alan Jackson
Addiction Medicine

In brief: MRI is best

You want the doctor to see all detail prior to any treatment or surgery- MRI will achieve this.

In brief: MRI is best

Dr. Robert Replogle
Neurosurgery

In brief: Not usually

Mri tends to be much better than plain ct.
Sedation during the MRI often makes it more tolerable. If none of this works, a ct myelogram is possible option. This is an invasive study, however, which involves a lumbar puncture (a needle in your back ).

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Peter Ihle
Bones 2 weak 2 me means osteoporosis or penia,& a bone density will give the best indication of bone quality, MR &CT would B more 4 gaining info about alignment And Mr more info about alignment as well as disk disease.
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology

In brief: CT is no where near

As good as MRI for looking at soft tissues (ligaments, nerves, muscles and spinal cord).
Ct is very good at looking at bones and other soft tissues (organs, lymph nodes). Please discuss options for pain/anxiety control with your doctor - before surgery, you want your doctor to have all the information possible to provide you with the best possible outcome.

In brief: CT is no where near

Dr. Peter Kurzweil