I had a 2nd root canal performed yesterday after an abcess was diagnosed. Is it normal to still have pus on my gum after the procedure?

Dr. Jonathan Richards
Dentistry - Endodontics

In brief: Keep an eye on it

Unfortunately, root canal treatments can have recurring infections for several reasons.
What is important, in my opinion, is to resolve the infection prior to completing the root canal therapy. If it was completed in the presence of active infection, you will need to monitor it closely. If taking antibiotics, the pus should resolve, but could still return later. Pus never really is normal.

In brief: Keep an eye on it

Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: It may take awhile

If the retreat was successful, the pus will diminish and disappear over a span of time that may be a week or more.
Pus is your body's respose to infection and it takes awhile for a poorly vascularaized dental abscess to heal even after the cause was eliminated via the root canal treatment. It should get better!

In brief: It may take awhile

Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Possible

Yes this is possible.
The infection i draining and the antibiotic should clear the infection. However HAV your dentist follow you closely. Good luck.

In brief: Possible

Yes this is possible.
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine