Can a kidney stone cause groin pain months before passing?

Not likely. Kidney stones may indeed be present for months before passing and may produce intermittent pain which is usually felt in the flank when the stone is retained in the kidney or in the anterior abdomen when the stone is retained in the bladder. Stones in the ureter cause pain which radiates into the groin but stones don't hang out there forever. Search for another cause of your pain.
Kidney stone. Usually the pain associated with a kidney stone is severe and intense until it passes. There is generally not weeks or month of discomfort, so other causes need to be investigated if you have groin pain.