Where do I go to get a gastrectomy done?

Tejas Ozarkar
General Practice
In brief: General Surgeon
Usually a general surgeon can performs this surgery.
I would ask your primary care physician who they recommend. Sometimes this procedure can be done laparoscopically (the surgeon will make a few small incisions and use a camera for the surgery). However, laparoscopic surgery eligibility is determined case by case, depending on the surgeon's clinical judgement and experience, and even insurance.

In brief: General Surgeon
Tejas Ozarkar
Tejas Ozarkar
Answer assisted by Tejas Ozarkar, Medical Student
Dr. Richard Orr
If you are having it done for cancer - look for a surgeon who specilizes in cancer - either a surgical oncologist or a very experienced general surgeon. Stomach cancer is not common and not all general surgeons are experienced in this area.
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Surgical Oncologist
There are various reasons to have a gastrectomy.
If you are dealing with stomach cancer, there may be advantages to having it done by a surgical oncologist. This type of surgeon has been specifically trained to do the operation to provide the best outcomes for cancer patients. Specifically, surgical oncologists may be able to remove more lymph nodes which could improve odds of survival.

In brief: Surgical Oncologist
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery