My child is barely 2. He only gets a pacifier at nap/bed time for past yr. Will it harm his teeth or palate development if he has it another year?

Dr. Steven Koos
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Deciduous Teeth

Limited to nap and bedtime as a "sleep transitioner" to help soothe him to sleep - not at all.
Children usually spit these out after some time asleep anyways. If the habit extends beyond bedtime and into later years, then yes indeed it can affect eruption patterns and lead to flaring of teeth. A pedodontist would be the best to confirm this for you.

In brief: Deciduous Teeth

Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Probably not

Pacifiers are so much less harmful that fingers/thumb.
He will probably give it up himself by 3--if not ask dentist for help. He should have been going for dental appointments since age 1 (if not--get there now). At his next regular ck-up ask dentist to check his "bite." remember, 1st orthodontic cm-up age 7.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: No but........

Another year or so should not be a problem, although you should try to start weaning him off it.
Each case is different. At this age, he should already have been seen by a pedodontist for advice and guidance on other issues as well. Here is a good website for some further information: http://www.Babycenter.Com/408_when-should-my-baby-stop-using-a-pacifier_1368496.Bc.

In brief: No but........

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Jonathan Jassey