What is the prognosis for cirrhosis of the liver if the patient stops drinking and stops taking lipitor (atorvastatin)?

Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Cirrhosis

Stopping alcohol is essential for those who want to maintain their health.
Drinking and stopping Lipitor (atorvastatin) will continue to deteriorate. Lipitor (atorvastatin) is not to be taken if you have active liver disease. The prognosis depends on how much alcohol was used for how long, and how much damage was done to the liver.

In brief: Cirrhosis

Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. James Rotchford
Addiction Medicine

In brief: It depends

The liver can regenerate but if it is too far gone it can prgress to needing a transplant.
To determine the best prognosis i think a liver biopsy is indicated. Besides stopping the alcohol there are a lot of dietary and supplements which can help the liver. I'd check out chinese medicine in particular.

In brief: It depends

Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. Umesh Patel