Is topomax used for bipolar 2 or depression?

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
In brief: Sometimes
Topamax (topiramate) is one of the medications psychiatrists have used off-label (not fda approved) for bipolar and depression but it is not very effective by itself.
It can help reduce anxiety and weight gain caused by other meds. I would not recommend it by itself for those problems. It can be useful for migraines, alcohol cravings and sleep. Too much can impair concentration therefore nicknamed "dopamax".

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Arman Danielyan
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: None
It is not approved by either. It is used however by many practitioners for treatment of bipolar disorder.

In brief: None
Dr. Arman Danielyan
Dr. Arman Danielyan