Should people who take proton pump inhibitors daily for many years to counter acid reflux be concerned with  side effects?  

PPI. Proton pump inhibitors are good drugs for dealing with acid reflux. The current fda literature suggests a slightly increased risk of fractures when taking these for longer than a year or taking high doses of them. However, the risk of fracture needs to be weighed against the risk of other bad things such as severe reflux symptoms impacting your life... A good conversation to have with your doc!
YES. You need some acid for various absorptive and some anti-bacterial functions. Iron deficiency is known to occur.
Yes. If you have taken the med for many years then you are probably not having any side effects to worry about. However, chronic reflux puts a person at risk for pre cancerous changes in the esophagus and this needs to be monitored. In addition, if you start a new medication, you should make sure it is compatable with the ppi. Talk to your doc or a gastroenteroloist.