What are statistical odds for cancer returning in a 63 yr old woman 20 yrs after treatment for stage 1 breast cancer (lumpectomy, chemo, & radiation)?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Low, but not zero.

First of all, congratulations on being a 20-yr survivor! it is impossible to give you a number or even a range without knowing more specifics about your cancer, however, the fact that it hasn't returned in 20 years certainly puts you in favorable statistical category.
I suggest that you meet with your medical oncologist to discuss this, as well as any measures you can take to prevent a recurrence.

In brief: Low, but not zero.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
2 comments
Dr. Michael Thompson
At 20 years out I would think of "survivorship" issues such as secondary cancers, risk of heart disease, and other medical problems. Congratulations!
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Low but not zero is correct, and new 2nd tumor same breast may occur.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: Very low, but

Sounds that you have been truly blessed with your life, and the chance is very low for the cancer to return but not impossible.
Sometimes a different breast cancer could develop, even the kind could change it's characteristics; like hormone status.Typically, that would have happened sooner.The incidence of breast cancer in a woman goes up as she ages.You need to keep your ck ups, exams. Good luck.

In brief: Very low, but

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Adam Levy