Is there any link between thyroidism and fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome?

Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Interesting question
Hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome all share similar symptoms, such as fatigue, depression and muscle pain.
I would say many patients with uncontrolled hypothyroidism could have the same symptoms as patients with fibromyalgia and cfs. They could coexist. But most patients with fibromyalgia and cfs don't have hypothyroidism.

In brief: Interesting question
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: NO LINK
By 'thyroidism', do you mean 'hypo' or underactive thyroid? If so, a common cause is hashimotos thyroiditis.
This is a condition where your body makes antibodies (to +tpo) to your own thyroid--essentially 'knocking it out'. Fibromyalgia has no 'autoimmune' basis as far as scientist know. Chronic fatigue syndome may be caused by an virus (ebv) but that is in debate.

In brief: NO LINK
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine
In brief: Perhaps
For all we do know, i think in some ways we are still in the dark ages of medicine.
. There is still so much we don't know and that we have yet to find out. I personally think there is a link. Genetic predisposition, environmental toxicity, etc all combine to cause ill health. I think the same things that cause fibro can also cause thyroid problems.

In brief: Perhaps
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Su Fairchild
Dr. Michael Rothman
In brief: Possibly
Fibromyalgia is a multifactorial consequence of hormonal, immune system and nervous system dysfunction resulting from genetic predispositions and dietary and environmental insults.
These factors impact your immune system and can lead to pain and inflammation and decreased ability to create atp causing fatigue.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: No
Agree. Hypothyroidism can co-exist with cfs or fibromyalgia but there is no link between them. Always rule out hypothyroidism first before considering the other two diagnoses.

In brief: No
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine
In brief: Maybe
The last two are not diseases! fibromyalgia is diagnosed by having tender points on certain parts of your body.
Cfs is still unclear, patient complains of chronic fatigue and a bunch of other symptoms and we can now name it cfs. They're both disorders with multi-variable symptoms. Due to the fact they're not diseases, simply a bunch of symptoms therefore no direct link can be made.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Alan Cohen
In brief: Thyroid
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism.
6 times more in females than males. It's autoimmune , like rheumatoid arthritis. Etc. The antibodies that attack the thyroid can be stimulated by many factors: chemicals, radiation, hormones- especially in women around menarche, pregnancy and menopause. Fibromyalgia is more common in women, possibly autoimmune. Be sure of dx.

In brief: Thyroid
Dr. Alan Cohen
Dr. Alan Cohen
Dr. Marsha Davis