Is the hCG diet and injections safe and effective?

Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine
In brief: NO
I get asked this question a lot.
I tell patients think about what you're doing exactly: 1. Taking a hormone that can modulate other hormones and is only elevated during pregnancy (un-natural) 2. You're ingesting merely 500 calories, some docs have modified it to 750 calories. But still too low for any person. It works as an immediate, fast tool for weight loss but not for good!

In brief: NO
I get asked this question a lot.
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
In brief: No; save your money
The HCG diet has a person eating 500 calories a day for more than a month.
That's just one big slice of pizza a day. A 4-month old baby eats 500 calories a day. Anybody on 500 calories a day is on a starvation diet and will lose weight. It doesn't sound safe. Extremely low calorie diets don't work because the weight comes back when one starts eating again. Long-term lifestyle changes are needed.

In brief: No; save your money
Dr. Michael Rothman
The HCG diet was originally developed by a.
T.W. Simeons M.D. During the 1940's -1950's. It has been used all over the world for over 50 years. This method is extremely safe & effective when used under the care of an experienced & trained md. Apparently HCG has an effect on your hypothalamus, increasing adiponectin levels & reducing leptin resistance. The method must be followed strictly to work.

Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Emil Shakov
Aesthetic Medicine
In brief: Only way to do it
It must be administered by a qualified physician by the original protocol.
Some physicians call this diet dangerous, but may just lack the knowledge about how this diet works and how effective it actually is and how safe it is when done the right way. It has been in use since 1950s.

In brief: Only way to do it
Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Adam Levy