I had my tubes tied 16 months ago and stopped nursing a year ago but i'm still lactating is this normal?

Dr. Rebecca Gray

In brief: No

If you are no longer breast-feeding, you should not be lactating.
The tubal ligation is not related to this issue. Unless your breasts are being somehow being stimulated or you are taking medications that have this as a side effect, you should see your doctor for blood tests and an exam.

In brief: No

Dr. Rebecca Gray
Dr. Rebecca Gray
Dr. Elizabeth Baron-Kuhn

In brief: Maybe

After nursing, many women can still produce milk if they have enough breast stimulation; however, it can also be the result of an elevated pituitary hormone called prolactin.
You should see a doctor and have a blood test to see. If the test comes back really high, you may need a brain scan to check for a pituitary tumor. But it may be normal also, then the doctor will just reassure you.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Elizabeth Baron-Kuhn
Dr. Elizabeth Baron-Kuhn
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham