Can ip 272 (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) be used to treat vaginal bacterial infections?

Not really. This antibiotic is used most commonly in women for bladder infections. It does not cover the common organisms that cause bacterial vaginitis.
Sulfa -Trimethoprim. Depending on the sensitivity of the organism isolated, sulfamethoxazole - trimethoprim can be a very effective treatment for your condition. If the cultured organism is sensitive, i applaud your doctor for using this time tested antimicrobial rather than prescribing a newer broad spectrum antimicrobial where overuse results in resistant organisms in the future.