Broke my m#5 in my left foot; what are the dangers of me not getting a cast put on it?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: DANGER=NONUNION

A 5th metatarsal fracture (foot fracture) needs to be treated with good immobilzation otherwise the bones will not heal resulting in a 'non-union'.
A non-union can cause chronic problems for 'years down the road' including pain and swelling.

In brief: DANGER=NONUNION

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Jay Ryan
Podiatry

In brief: Dangers of no cast

Due to tendon insertion at this bone, shifting of the bone fragment and/or a delay in healing (3-4 months) is not uncommon if a cast or surgical correction is not performed.
Pain can continue long term if the healed position is not adequate. Its well worth spending time in the cast!

In brief: Dangers of no cast

Dr. Jay Ryan
Dr. Jay Ryan
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Depends

Some 5th mt frx heal poorly the jones frx has a pretty high nonunion rate while others heal readily, a dancer frx heals jones dosent.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Peter Kurzweil