My testosterone is 300 on a scale 350- 900 LH and FSH both at 3. Does this look more like secondary hypogonadism or primary. Im guessing secondary?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Secondary

Primary hypogonadism means that your testes aren't producing enough testosterone for your body.
Your brain/pituitary responds by increasing lh & FSH to attempt to stimulate production. In secondary hypogonadism, your pituitary's production & release of lh & FSH is lower such that your testicular production of testosterone is decreased. More important than the t number is how you feel clinically.

In brief: Secondary

Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: Free?

300 is your total testosterone.
Most of men's testosterone is bound to a hormone called sex hormone binding globulin (shbg). When bound it's inactive. Free is active and tells you more about how much your body's testosterone is actually at work. Your lh, FSH is not high enough to indicate that your testicles have failed making testosterone. Shbg is made by liver, and can be low.

In brief: Free?

300 is your total testosterone.
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
3 comments
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
As a result I would not replace your testosterone, I would find the underlying reason: most commonly diabetes and obesity, then hypothyroidism, then liver disease. If you have any of these, I would target at tackling those problems first. Remember this, once on testosterone replacement, you're on it for life!
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
What time of the day was your bloodwork done? Hormone testing has variable results throughout the day. Have it repeated in early morning and see if its higher. Thats why i prefer saliva.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham