Can u explain to me why my pap test come back abnormal every 3 months? And what is the next step. My doctor is not tell me what's going on. I have hpv.

Dr. Marina Maslovaric

In brief: HPV test vs PAP test

There are 2 tests that are done now: hpv test and pap test.
If your hpv test is positive and pap smear normal - it will most likely stay that way for 1 yr. Our immune system gets rid of the virus on its own, no treatment needed. You can take multivitamins, vit d, vit b complex, Folic Acid to support your immune system. If you have hpv positive and pap abnormal then you need colposcopy.

In brief: HPV test vs PAP test

Dr. Marina Maslovaric
Dr. Marina Maslovaric
Dr. Jeremy Proctor

In brief: HPV and Paps

Hpv can cause changes in the cervix that are "pre-cancerous.
". The results of any pap test have a range of possible abnormalities, all involving how abnormal the cells appear under a microscope. Depending on how abnormal the cells are, your doctor may just monitor closely with frequent testing. Cells that are "more abnormal" may require that a biopsy and further treatment be performed.

In brief: HPV and Paps

Dr. Jeremy Proctor
Dr. Jeremy Proctor
Dr. Paul Williams

In brief: HPV and paps

Hpv will cause pap smears to read as "abnormal" either sometime called ascus or depending on the lab - will actually report the hpv viral type.
The best "next" step would be to have a colposcopy done - examining the cervix for changes - and undergoing directed biopsies to eliminate possible precancerous changes. If under 27 you should still get the hpv vaccine.

In brief: HPV and paps

Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Jane Van Dis