Why do I have pain down the left side of my back and arm?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Pain
Could by a severe strain or a partial or fully torn rotator cuff.
It could be a nerve related problem. You need to be seen by your primary care doctor to have further evaluation. Are you trying nsaids for this problem on a scheduled basis. And it also depends how long you have had this problem.

In brief: Pain
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Philip Kennedy
In brief: Disc problem likely.
The most likely explanation would be a nerve pain.
Is there any numbness or tingling? Do you have any neck problems? If you rotate your neck in a large circle, does that movement cause worsening of the arm pain? Possible explanations would include a disc problem in the neck or some spasm of muscles irritating a nerve to the arm. Suggest seeing a capable chiropractor and a massotherapist.

In brief: Disc problem likely.
Dr. Philip Kennedy
Dr. Philip Kennedy
Dr. Vikram Patel