I have not had any sexual contact with anyone else but my wife. How else can you get herpes?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Herpes

It's a virus.
Many people are carriers and sexual transmission can pass them along even if you are monogamous....You both might have been exposed in prior relationships and it is manifesting itself now.

In brief: Herpes

It's a virus.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Mohammed Younus

In brief: Sexual/oral route

Herpes virus is transmitted with contact: skin to skin, mouth to mouth, mouth to genitals, genital to genitals.
It can lay dormant in sensory nerves for a long time before becoming active. Think carefully and talk to a physician, more treatments are available now than before.

In brief: Sexual/oral route

Dr. Mohammed Younus
Dr. Mohammed Younus