After 2 yrs of TMJ ( bite splint, pt ) I have been told that i may have to have an arthroscopy. Worst symptoms are ear - will this solve it?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Go conservative

Arthroscopy has little effect on the TMJ and are successful in reducing symptoms in about 70% of patients.
Non invasive, non surgical and conservative and more predictable treatment is recommended. See OFP specialist for consultation.

In brief: Go conservative

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Probably

Arhroscopy works well in most appropriately selected TMJ patients who have failed other treatments.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: No guarantees

Your specific situation should be discussed with a doctor who has extensive training and experience in this area.
We can't answer such a general question as you posed. Besides, no doctor should guarantee success and can only recommend treatment. Perhaps you should consult at least one other expert in this field before making any final decisions.

In brief: No guarantees

Dr. Abraham Jaskiel
I had a patient recently with a similar problem, the oral surgeon recommended she get an mri done and than see him before arthroscopy is done.
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: It May

If you have been in splint therapy for 2 years and are not progressing, you may want to explore other options.
Depending upon the diagnosis after a thorough exam and studies, arthrocentesis and/or arthroscopy may decrease or provide relief of your symptoms. Schedule a consultation with an oral surgeon.

In brief: It May

Dr. Steven Koos
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: TMJ Athrocentesis

It should, but no guarantee.
Perhaps ask your oral and maxillofacial surgeon if an arthrocentesis could also be a first-line invasive attempt to improve your symptoms prior to committing to an arthroscopy. Many solid studies have demonstrated equal post-op benefits for this less invasive in-office procedure vs. Arthroscopy, dermal grafts, etc. I have had many patients significantly improve.

In brief: TMJ Athrocentesis

It should, but no guarantee.
Dr. William Forsythe