I just found out I have whooping cough "pertussis" how did I get this and how can I ease the coughing?

TREAT PERTUSSIS. You probably contracted it from an adult coughing in public. 'whooping cough" is an infection caused by the bacteria, bordetella pertussis. We have had several epidemics in idaho and the west coast lately. Thought of as a childhood illness it has 'made a come back' and now infects adults. The treatment is antibiotics. Prevention is the key: everyone over 19 should get a dtap shot! cough meds help.
Contacts. Studies demonstrate that as many as 75% of pertussis come from underimmunized family members.Only symptomatic relif helps such as a prescription cough medicine.This is a conclusive reason why immunizations for all ages is important.
Weak immune/exposed. Most older adults, if immunized as a child, have minimal resistance to pertussis.The pre '92 vaccine was harsh with >>side effects as u got >6 so boosters were seldom given, leading to sporadic cases in teens & adults.Now we have tdap now recommended adults instead of just a tetanus booster. The "100 days" cough is aided by many anti-tussives but persists long after abx are finished.