I have had diarrhea for 24 hours now. Everything I eat goes right through me. I am a 25 yr old healthy woman what should I do?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Keep hydrated

Maintaining adequate hydration and electrolyte levels is the most important thing for an otherwise healthy individual with severe diarrhea.
Keep drinking lots of fluids with sugar and electrolytes (like gatorade type products). If you notice your heart beating faster, or your urine getting darker in color, go to the hospital for IV fluids.

In brief: Keep hydrated

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Acute diarrhea

For acute diarrhea, you should first prevent the body from losing too much fluid and electrolytes.
Try broths and soups that contain sodium, and fruit juices, mineral water, soft fruits, or vegetables that contain potassium. They can help restore the fluid and electrolyte levels. Also try the brat diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast). Avoid caffeine and milk products.

In brief: Acute diarrhea

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine