When do you know a knee replacement is indicated?

Poor function. Although xrays are helpful in determining whether knee replacement is indicated, pain and poor function are the primary indications. Severe arthritis will cause pain, swelling, and instability (particularly when descending stairs). When these issues affect your quality of life, and other measures have failed, knee replacement may be indicated. A well-done knee replacement should last 20-25 yrs.
Pain. When you no longer cannot walk due to pain. X-ray do not help in determining knee replacement (they can look normal). Pain is the determinant. We like patients not younger than 50 b/c life expectancy of replacement is about 15 years.
Many factors. Many factors may enter into the decision to replace a knee. Patient age, severity of pain, degree of disability and patients overall suitability for an operation and rehab are all considerations. Discussion with an orthopedist experienced in the proceedure is your best bet.
Conservative rx fail. Persistent intolerable pain, advanced arthritis on xray and willingness to assume surgical risks after failure of a trial of: rest, analgesics, physical therapy, joint injections.