How can an eight month old baby break his femur. It was an accident (friend) but web searches show this is fairly rare.?

Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Child Abuse
Any child with a long bone fracture should prompt you to call child protective services.

In brief: Child Abuse
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Richard Roberts
first see a geneticist before sicing family services on them. The geneticist may get proof of osteogenesis imperfecta (a heritable brittle bone disease) in the family. Also, determine whether the baby was born after a shoulder hung up in the birth canal (shoulder dystocia). Femur fractures are common when this happens, and the fracture may not have been detected.
Dr. Michael Jones
In brief: Indeed rare
It is a fair amount of force to cause this.
I'm thinking abuse first. Another possibility is pathologic such as osteogenesis imperfecta. Please get formal evaluation now. Possibly other injuries exist.

In brief: Indeed rare
Dr. Michael Jones
Dr. Michael Jones
Dr. Richard Roberts
Another potential cause: shoulder dystocia. Femur fractures are common, and may go unnoticed
In brief: Bothersome
I would never accept the "accident" story unless the kid was unrestrained in a car crash.
Even then, it would be a parenting failure. In my hands this would be followed by a full skeletal survey (x-rays of every bone) and an evaluation by the child and family service experts.

In brief: Bothersome
2 comments
Dr. Richard Roberts
first see a geneticist before sicing family services on them. The geneticist may get proof of osteogenesis imperfecta (a heritable brittle bone disease) in the family. Also, determine whether the baby was born with a shudder humb yup in the birth canal (shoulder dystocia). Femur fractures are common when this happens, and may not have been detected.
Dr. Richard Roberts
shoulder dystocia, not shudder humb yup! what on earth caused that??
Dr. Cindy Juster