How long should it take for a cortisone shot in my hip to start working. ?

Dr. Harris Cohen
In brief: Cortisone
The answer to this is multifaceted -- often a cortisone injection into a joint will take some effect in 24-48 hours, however, responses to cortisone vary.
Not all joint pain responds to cortisone -- if you have no improvement in 5-7 days, i would contact the physician who performed the injection.

In brief: Cortisone
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
In brief: 72 hours
I advise most patients that it takes about 72 hours for a cortisone shot to "kick in, " to have the desired effect and begin to reduce the pain or discomfort that is begin treated.
Interestingly, that appears to be the case regardess of the location or purpose of the injection. I also advise my patients that they will typically see an improvement in the result up till about 2 weeks after injection.

In brief: 72 hours
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Soon
Tochanteric injection are immefiatelly effective peak at a week.
There is no role for intrarticular injection of the hip joint they have been shown to acelerate DJD in hip joint infx significant risk.

In brief: Soon
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston