How do I know if my baby is hungry?

Hunger Cues. You'll learn your baby's various cries and cues over time. In the meantime, some hunger cues are fairly universal. While babies cry for all kinds of reasons, if it's been awhile since her last feed, and she begins fussing, puts her hand to her mouth, sucks a lot, or roots her face toward anything that it touches, she's hungry. Feeding at the onset of fussing can prevent the "frantic baby" later.
Look for hunger cues. Babies are fairly adept at responding to hunger and if we pay attention, we can start recognizing their hunger cues. Waking, looking alert, lip smacking, making sucking motions, bringing hands to mouth, nuzzling against breast, and squirming are all signs your baby is ready to feed again. Crying is considered a late sign of hunger. Pretty soon, you'll have mastered your baby's hunger cues.