Inside mu ear is swollen an painful.I also have earwax draining from it.I can't see my dr for a while, will Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or Claritin help?

Mike Moore

In brief: Probably not...

It sounds like you have an external ear infection, or otitis externa.
..It is unlikely that this is just an allergic reaction for which antihistamines would work for. I would see a doctor without delay. In some cases, a local infection near or in the ear can spread rapidly.

In brief: Probably not...

Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Harris Cohen

In brief: Ear pain

There are 2 possibilities -- one is otitis externa (outer ear infection or swimmer's ear) that is caused by an inflammation of the skin lining the ear. Another possibility for the fluid is that you have an otitis media (middle ear infection) with perforation, and the fluid you see is draining from the middle ear -- see your doctor - Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and Claritin are unlikely to be of much help.

In brief: Ear pain

Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen