I have shoulder pain after playing tennis. I have been told this is a neck sprain. What should I do?

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine
In brief: Stretch / PT / Yoga
Pain in a shoulder or arm can be the result of muscles or nerves being "pinched" higher up.
We all tend to spend too much time on the computer (typing this answer!) - repeated use and underlying tension (not to mention disc disease) minimize the space through which nerves and muscles travel. Good "soft tissue work" either by stretching, getting physical therapy can help a lot. Yoga is terrific.

In brief: Stretch / PT / Yoga
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Bruce Prager
Sports Medicine
In brief: Shoulder vs Neck
You can either have one or the other or both.
Tennis can put strains on your shoulder as well as your neck especially serving when you toss the ball up. The trapezius is a large muscle that travels from the base of your skull in the back of the neck to your shoulder area. Try doing some shoulder shrug exercises with weights on each arm. Also try and do some shoulder specific exercises.

In brief: Shoulder vs Neck
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Bruce Prager
Dr. Vikram Patel