What helps with insomnia?

Routine. Go to sleep at the same time every night, take a warm (not hot) shower 30 min before bedtime, no tv in bedroom, no children in bedroom. If you cannot get to sleep within 15 minutes get up and read until feeling tired and try again. Otc melatonin can also be helpful for some.
Sleeping. I disagree. I think the primary cause is poor sleep hygiene and misuse of caffiene and alcohol. Followed by life stressors, and work study circadian issues. Psychiatric causes (if one doesn't count substance use) might round out the top 5. Stop caffeine, or cut to 1-2cups in am, and alcohol, if the patient can't then you have diagnosed a substance misuse issue.
Many Causes.. There are many reasons for difficulty sleeping, and several types of insomnia. Nearly 70 million people suffer from sleep problems. If you have been having difficulty sleeping for some time (two or more weeks), it may be helpful to consult your doctor or a mental health professional to explore further. Here is a link to some tips I have developed for my patients: http://tinyurl.Com/cuexb6u.
Insomnia. Primary cause of insomnia is psychiatric, other causes of insomnia could be secondary to medical causes, sleep apnea, work schedule, psychosocial stressors.
Sleep hygiene. Good sleep hygiene can help many people with insomnia. Don't read or watch tv in bed. Go to bed at the same time every night. Don't do alerting activities before bed, keep the light dim before bedtime. If you don't fall asleep in 15 minutes get out of bed and do something quiet till you feel sleepy. Don't have a clock you can see from bed visible. Also cognitive behavior training can help.
Deep breathing. Use deep breathing and counting breaths to induce state of relaxation; also do not think about any tasks that have to be done the next day.
Sleep Hygiene. Sleep hygiene (http://bit.Ly/j1obg) includes ensuring that your habits, bed environment, and your mental state promote sleep. If sleep hygiene is not enough, cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt) for insomnia is quite effective (http://bit.Ly/xvbuqr). There are over the counter and prescription options, but studies demonstrated that cbt for insomnia was more effective than zolpidem/ambien.
Insomnia Problems. Many factors can contribute to insomnia; here are a few: low progesterone, low blood sugar causing release of adrenaline, low levels of melatonin, excessive neuroexititoxic items (like aspartame, nitrates, nitrites, msg, fried foods) in your diet.Stimulants (like coffee) too much light exposure late in the day. Not enough natural light exposure early in the day. Lack of darkness at night.