I keep getting strep throat what could be the cause?

David Miller

In brief: Strep bacteria

If you indeed have strep throat, then your sore throat is caused by a bacterium called streptococcus pyogenes, which can sometimes be resistant to antibiotics.
However, sore throat can be caused by a vast number of causes. Actual strep throat needs to be treated with antibiotics in order to prevent rheumatic fever. See your doc for a proper diagnosis and treatment. Wishing you'all the best.

In brief: Strep bacteria

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Great answer. Wishing you'all the best.
Dr. Patrick Melder
If you are having frequent episodes of strep, I would strongly advise you to have your tonsils taken out.
Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Chronic tonsillitis

Recurrent strep throat is usually due to chronic infection of the tonsils.
If you are getting multiple episodes a year, you may want to consider getting your tonsils removed by an ENT surgeon.

In brief: Chronic tonsillitis

Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
Dr. Esther Cheung-Phillips
Dr. R. Keith Hill
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Strep carrier

Some people are colonized with "strep" bacteria.
Sometimes it requires a much longer regimen of antibiotics 3-4 wks to eradicate the colonization. If you continue to have culture positive infections then removing the tonsils and adenoids (if present) my be a potential solution.

In brief: Strep carrier

Dr. R. Keith Hill
Dr. R. Keith Hill
Dr. Jonathan Jassey