Hctz (hydrochlorothiazide) may raise glucose levels. Never had this borderline problem before til taking this hypertensive med. What diuretic substitute should I ask for?

HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide) and glucose. I would have your physician check your hemoglobin a1c to see if you have any diabetes while taking. Hctz (hydrochlorothiazide) (h). Another option is a diuretic called chlorthiadone (c), which does not raise glucose (g) levels. At age 59, you may have some chronic kidney disease (ckd) which would make both h and c ineffective. Ask your doctor if you have CKD and could be put on Furosemide alone, as it does not raise g.