I have herpes simplex 1 and instead i get canker sores on my tongue what can I do to get rid of them faster or prevent them?

Dr. Steven Koos
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Different Causes

Hsv & aphthous ulcers can both benefit from in-office laser therapy (takes less than 5 minutes and significantly reduces pain and length of the presence of the lesions.
Hsv episodes can be reduced and on occasion "prevented" with a daily Valtrex (valacyclovir) regimen. Aphthous ulcers, unless you are lucky to have pinpointed what cause yours to surface more readily, there is not a medication that you can take.

In brief: Different Causes

Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. Steven Koos
Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dentistry

In brief: A miserable issue

For sure. Canker: discontinue toothpaste that has sodium lauryl sulfate, limit acidic foods and try to avoid trauma of oral tissues w toothbrush/utensils.
Look for zilactin products in pharmacy to apply. Best medicine is rx steroid in an oral bandage delivery called "orabase". Lasers can help if your dentist has one.

In brief: A miserable issue

Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dr. R Lee Hinson
Dr. Jane Van Dis