How can I tell the difference between numb patches on my feet caused by shoe/use compression or by more ominous causes?

Dr. Lea Danielsen
In brief: Probably not shoes
A numb patch by a shoe is going to be either a callus, a wart (both easy enough to see), or go way quickly after the shoes are removed.
Sometimes nerves can be damaged more seriously by long term compression, but i would never assume that is the case without a doctor knowing the whole story and saying that was it. The later would be rare.

In brief: Probably not shoes
Dr. Lea Danielsen
Dr. Lea Danielsen
Dr. Dale Vancil
Podiatry
In brief: Skin appearance
Shoe pressure numbness will probably be accompanied by skin color changes.
Inspect your skin, also look for bony areas which may rub on the shoes. This without, probably won't have anything to do with shoes. Don't where shoes, and see if you still have numbness.

In brief: Skin appearance
Dr. Dale Vancil
Dr. Dale Vancil
Dr. Eric Weisman